Friday 27 May 2016

Braun Series 7 790cc-4 Electric Foil - Review

I bought the 790cc in March 2010. From the beginning (I have a rather heavy beard that grows in different directions), getting anything resembling a close shave in less than 15 minutes was impossible. Still, I decided to stick with the mediocre shaves, the earth-shattering noise both of the shave and the cleaning process, because I was fed up with blood all over my shirt collars resulting from the inevitable daily cuts that accompanied my super-duper Gillette blades. By September, the foils (supposed to last 18 months) had so badly degraded that after 10 minutes, I still had a full beard. So I purchased a new foil and cutter cassette. Slightly better results for about a week. Then, the five o'clock shadow became worse...and worse, and finally, the morning shave entailed an excruciating ripping of the hair from my beard. 

By late November, I was finally determined that this was not going to work, and I went back to the drawing board. For whatever reason, the Panasonic was not on my radar screen in March. This time, I expanded the search and the ES-LA93-K wet/dry came up. I read a half-dozen reviews, several from former Braun 7-series owners, and went ahead and bought the Panasonic. It arrived December 3rd. I have had two shaves, one dry with Williams Lectric Shave, and one in the shower with pre-shave oil and shave gel. Both shaves exceeded in closeness, comfort and neatness anything I have ever experienced, ever, anytime--in a record setting 4 minutes dry and 5 minutes wet. It is more comfortable to hold, quieter, utterly pain free, and is everything I expected and much, much more. 

The cleaning system is easy to use, and much quieter. I had used Braun shavers in the past, with similar results. The 7-series received rave reviews, and I decided to give it a shot. I am done with German engineering for good, after getting rid of a disaster of a BMW for an Infiniti and now the Braun 7-series in favor of the Panasonic. While the Braun may work for you if your beard is lighter and has a predictable and consistent growth pattern, I would recommend the Panasonic simply because it works better under the most difficult conditions, and would likely give you lucky light bearded folks a two-minute shave, dry or wet. I had grown to dread shaving--the past two days have been terrific. It is six hours now since I shaved, and no hint of shadow. With the Braun, it would be there in less than three hours. By night, if I was going out, I needed to shave again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogarama - Tools Blogs